Our Little Family

Our Little Family

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Outward Not Inward

This life is not about me.  It's about others.  I was not put on this planet to spend 80+ years trying to figure out how to make myself the most happy, comfortable and content.  Nope.  This life is about others, all of those people around me.  Don't believe me?  Go watch The Christmas Carol right now!  Want to end up like Scrooge?!!  Seriously though, think about this, when you are having a bad day, who is your focus on? Usually self right?  Want to turn that day around super fast?  Try buying a homeless man lunch, holding a door open for a mom with her hands full of groceries and little people, genuinely compliment the cashier at the store about themselves, send a friend a fun, thinking of you e-card, stop and pick up an item for an older gentleman who dropped it, you know what you will find?  By getting your mind off of yourself and your situation and on to others, your day will start to turn around!  You will gain joy by seeing and doing for others!!

This is a lesson that I have been learning so much recently, and it applies to all areas of life!  Think about it, school, work, friendships, marriage, parenting, and yes even adoption journeys, in all of these things we have the chance to see others, to love others and not just focus on ourselves!  Isn't this the lesson that we always hear being taught at Christmas time?  It's about others, it's about giving not receiving?  How come we start talking about that lesson each holiday season but forget that it is something to work on the whole year through?

I would love for it to be said of me at the end of my life that I genuinely saw others and cared about them.  I will be honest though, I've got a long way to go!  You know, so much of the time in this journey to adopt, I get so wrapped up in how it is affecting me, that I forget about the others that it is also affecting.  This journey also involves an amazing, hard working husband, two big-hearted little boys, tons of unbelievably supportive family and friends, several adoption agency workers, a birth mom facing the hardest decision of her life, and a tiny baby whose world is about to be turned upside-down.  See?  It's not just about me.  This journey is about all of us.  Your life always touches someone else's life.  Always.  

And speaking of our adoption journey, I realize it has been a while since I have updated you all on what is going on.  Welp, we finished our paperwork for our new agency and turned it all in at the beginning of November.  Our next step is a mandatory adoption training that our agency is hosting next Friday, December 13th.  After completing the training, we will be assigned our case worker.  Our case worker will then do our home visit and personal interviews.  Once those are completed, we will once again be home study approved, but this time in South Carolina!  Which means that sometime at the beginning of 2014, we should be ready to be matched!  We'll keep you all posted as we progress!

From our family to yours, we hope you have an amazing and blessed holiday season!  We are so very thankful for each and every one of you!  Your love, prayer, support and encouragement mean the world to us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment